and I'm a little bit rock and roll...
Okay so for those of you who didn't know that I'm old you do now. I grew up on Donny and Marie. Who am I kidding? Their Christmas CD is still one of my favorites when I was growing up my dad threw the record across the room and broke it and about 9 years ago I found it on CD. I also had a Marie barbie, all of their records and we would dance and sing around my living room. We had one wall that was all mirrors so it was a perfect stage. I don't know how many dances were choreographed there as well as how much voice practice was done in front of those mirrors. My friend Pauline gave me a DVD of their Family Christmas special last year for Christmas and my sister in law has the videos of their old shows so my kids have all seen andl love them too.
Well anyway last night The Osmonds were performing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and I decided it would be fun to go down to the Conference Center and try to get standby tickets.
I emailed Ryan at work and asked him if I rode Trax down if he would meet me there and go with me. He actually said it would be fine as long as I brought his ear plugs and his book that he is reading. In case you don't know Ryan HATES musicals or such things. Now after saying that I have either starred in or directed over 40 shows and he is a great sport and he goes to watch or is my stage manager or helps me if I need but he really hates them.
Anyway I hopped on Trax and went and sat in the standby line and eventually he showed up and we luckily did get seats. It was a fun concert. I was disappointed in Marie. I loved the brothers and Donny but she sang "How Great Thou Art". And Ryan leaned over to me and asked "Is this supposed to sound like this?" She was REALLY breathy and slid all over the place. Now you all know that my dad runs a Sound Company so I've spent my life paying attention to the sound or running a sound board and every time she would go to sing a loud note she would pull her mic away from her mouth. Which is usually a good practice but her notes weren't that loud so all of a sudden you couldn't even hear her. I felt bad for the guy at the mixer because you could tell that he was trying to raise the volume on her mic every single time. It was weird. None of the guys had any trouble like she did.
Ryan did not use his ear plugs or even take out his book. He actually enjoyed it I think.
It is always fun to watch the Tabernacle Choir especially since Dr. Wilberg conducts it and I worked with him while I was in high school and at BYU. Overall it was really fun.
Oh another funny Osmond note if you haven't seen 'College Road Trip' Donny has a really cute part in it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Linda had tickets to that show but she couldn't find anyone to go with her (Dave was on a campout and Davy and I had a wedding). Sounds like fun, minus the whole Marie thing.
I was there too! My dad had 4 tickets and made it a daddy-daughter date. I have to agree with you about Marie. Her rendition of "How Great Thou Art" didn't settle well with me. She sounded out of breath in the beginning and I was bothered by the mic thing too. The arrangement was was overdone. But the remainder of the concert was great! Those Osmund boys really have the moves!! And the Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra is phenomenal under the direction of Mack Wilberg. Did you know he is from Emery County - a close neighbor of ours? There's a little trivia for you.
Post a Comment