Mothers Who Know

"Mothers who know" do less. They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally. They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of the world’s goods in order to spend more time with their children—more time eating together, more time working together, more time reading together, more time talking, laughing, singing, and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all. Their goal is to prepare a rising generation of children who will take the gospel of Jesus Christ into the entire world. Their goal is to prepare future fathers and mothers who will be builders of the Lord’s kingdom for the next 50 years. That is influence; that is power." ~Julie Beck

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Fun outings

This morning Ryan and Darren went golfing. This was to make up for the little accident last May the Ranches had given them 2 free passes to return. Hmm It would have been cheaper to have Darren golf the first time rather than pay for the E.R. hee hee.

Then tonight Ryan and Kathryn went on a movie date (compliments of the Balls, Thanks) to see Get Smart. I'm sure they are having a great time. Ryan has had fun the last few months taking the kids on 'dates'.

I am at home working on my Eagle, Oops I mean Darren and I are working on his merit badges.

I am so tired of partials. He probably has enough partials to get 3 Eagles. Like if you are reading this Brother Ball, Darren did everything for his Fishing merit badge last summer at camp but he still needs to catch 2 fish. So he'd love to go fishing.

I don't even know where he is on some of these like I know they are working on cinematography these but he is soooooo lazy it is hard to get them finished. He has earned his shot gun shooting a couple of times but first had a concert the night that the ward had the person come and talk to them. Then at scout camp he didn't bring home the card so alas no shot gun. He also has done the rock climbing a few different times like he sat through the presentation then missed the trip in our ward in Saratoga but then we went but alas no card so no merit badge.
It didn't help that he was in 3 different Deacons Q. in the 2 years. Tomorrow morning he has an appointment with a lady and he should be able to get Family Life, Music, and Communications. Then he has a meeting with Brother Hertzler on Saturday to finally get his Camping, (This is the one that if you don't know the requirments you have to have 20 nights of camping with your patrol and they only count week long scout camp once so it is quite a few nights of camping. Young mothers beware and keep track!) then he has a meeting with another guy next Wed night to finish his Cit in Nation and maybe Community.
As a former wife of a Professional Scouter I can honestly say "scouting is not my favorite thing in the world" I know it is a good program. But I also know that when we were at a professional conference 10 years ago in Nashville President Monson stood and said basically that the church would only continue to endorse scouting as long as if fills the needs of our boys. That is also about the same time the church came out with the Duty to God for Young Men (not to confuse it with the cub scout Duty to God). As much as I want Darren to be an Eagle. I want him to serve a mission more. And I know that the spiritual preparation that he does will be greater than that of an Eagle. But I also know that since my husband was a D.E. he expects Darren to be an Eagle Scout so I will just vent on my blog and then I will happily help him get things finished.
Soon we will be looking for an Eagle Project so if somebody has something in mind let us know.

3 comments:

Shuman X Seven said...

Wow, you mean you are an LDS woman who doesn't fully embrace scouting, with a teenage boy who doesn't jump in and have his Eagle by the time he is thirteen???

WHEW!!! I feel NoRmAl!! If we put Colton and Darren together, they could be an Eagle. Colton has his project done, and only 3 merit badges away! He could be driving if he would just get his Eagle. I feel your pain.....What more can we do? You know how I feel about scouting... I support what I need to. Keep up the good work!

KMJ said...

Kerri and Shannon, I have three boys and I am just beginning. So if I don't have a great scoutitude I am not an awful person? Jeff is an Eagle scout but isn't "into" it. I guess that's why they called me to be a den mother, cuz I have to learn. There is much good in the program I know, just much of a pain in the behind too! My sons will not hear me say that but I can tell my fellow mothers of scouters.

KMJ said...

And I appreciate the heads-up about future possible problems. I don't know if I will remember or listen to them....but I do appreciate the advice Kerri!