As I had posted earlier this week I have been hired by B Beckstrand to teach 5th grade at the new school in Saratoga Riverview Elem. I am really excited about this opportunity plus on Tuesday of this week I had the chance to sit with the woman Debbie that I will be teaching with. I fell in love with her immediately and have just been excited all week.
On Thursday, my current principal Glenn found out the 2 other people from our 5th grade team had accepted offers to other schools leaving 3 out of 6 of us there at Saratoga. Glenn knew that I really wanted to continue working with these 3 so at 10:30am he called me from the district office to ask me whether I would consider staying at Saratoga, plus I'd have a classroom in the building and I could stay in 5th grade for sure. I did ask him for some time to think about it, and that I would talk to him later that afternoon.
After his phone call I had prep so I went and talked to a couple of my teammates, called Ryan and my friend Shannon. I had pros and cons for both schools. The challenge of opening a new school compared to the 'known' and working with people I love. I decided to stay at Saratoga and I prayed about my decision to do such. Then I went to lunch and pretty much everyone knew that I had this decision and offered me their input. By the time lunch period was over I was just sick to my stomach. I felt awful and I'm sure my demeanor was such. I went back into my classroom and was getting the materials ready to go teach science in one of the other rooms when I looked up from my desk to see one of the second grade teachers sitting at one of my student's desks. She was raising her hand waiting for me to notice her. I laughed and asked her why she was in my classroom. She came up to me and gave me a hug and told me that she could tell I was in turmoil. I talked to her for a second while I explained that I love the people that I work with, and her reply was but you know what you have to do for yourself, huh?
Yes I did know. While I was teaching Katie's class I knew that I had to turn down Glenn's offer and go to the new school. I tried to sneak into the bathroom and out of the office so I wouldn't have to talk to Glenn until the end of the day but as I came out the assistant principal came towards me from one end while Glenn came at me towards another to talk to me.
As they brought me into Glenn's office Jason (assistant principal) looked at me and said "What are you thinking? Are you okay?" and I just told them both that I was supposed to go. I said I don't really know why, but I'm not supposed to stay here at this school. I did feel really bad because I really do love to work with my team and I love Saratoga but that isn't where I'm supposed to be. Immediately I felt better and even when I went back to class one of my students even made the comment that I looked excited about something. Yes, I am excited first of all because, for some reason I made the right decision and for another I have a new job that I'm very excited for.
In our lives we must practice what we teach. My whole life I've been taught and I've taught others that we must make decisions and then pray about them with a decision made. With that then the Holy Ghost will either confirm that decision or help us know that it isn't right. I can tell you I was physically sick. I could have thrown up at any minute with the decision that I had gone with. Neither of them were bad decisions and I may never know why it was the right one to go to the new school but I am. And I'm so grateful for the Holy Ghost in my life to help me receive personal inspiration. This had been a totally draining day.
"We are told in the scriptures that Satan will tempt us in the last days before the Savior comes again. For this reason, our children need to know that God and Jesus Christ will always love them and answer their prayers. This knowledge will bring them abiding strength.”
Teaching by Faith Robert D. Hales
I know that Heavenly Father answers prayers and that he is aware of our lives menial as they me seem.

3 comments:
Amen! My father always told us that when we follow the promptings and make the right choice we may never know what perils lay in the other path but we will be able to handle the ones in the path we did take. (or something like that ;)
Sounds like He sent a second grade angel to help you out. What a great Dad He is. :)
I can see how that would be so hard! Good for you for listening to the Spirit. :) You will be blessed!
Post a Comment