Mothers Who Know

"Mothers who know" do less. They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally. They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of the world’s goods in order to spend more time with their children—more time eating together, more time working together, more time reading together, more time talking, laughing, singing, and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all. Their goal is to prepare a rising generation of children who will take the gospel of Jesus Christ into the entire world. Their goal is to prepare future fathers and mothers who will be builders of the Lord’s kingdom for the next 50 years. That is influence; that is power." ~Julie Beck

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Can't we just keep sleeping?

Okay so I'm a mean mom. This summer is going to be so crazy. The first week I made everyone work everyday. That included getting up at 6 for our regular scrip study (even though it is summer) then I make them go outside for an hour, practice their piano, go on walks with me up road kill hill, do their regular work etc.
Then last week I had class everyday from 8-4 so they still had to get up early but by the time I got home my house was a wreck. Rebecca was funny she asked me why I want to be a teacher cuz if I got a regular job I wouldn't have to go to college again. I asked her what a regular job is and she told me I should just work at Walmart. Yikes I know a teacher doesn't make a lot of money but I do make more than if I worked at WALMART!
This week I'm off again so yesterday we put a brick pave border around my front flower beds, we have weeded in the backyard again. (one day we will have our backyard in and we won't have to weed everything) We did go swimming this afternoon and hung out.
Next week I have class everyday but this class I have to go stay at a hotel for 5 days. So once again they will have free reign. On Wednesday Ryan is taking the kids to Farmington, New Mexico to his sister's wedding and then they will be back on Thursday I am going to have to miss it because I had already paid for this class before she scheduled it and it is only offered once a year.
Darren had stake youth conference last week. It was a re-enactment of the Book of Mormon. It was concluded when they got all of the kids up at 4 am to re-enact the Savior coming to the Americas. We had sewed costumes for him to wear and they fed them great food. He had such a good time. I'm so grateful for an awesome son. He amazes me. Sometimes I get upset with him because he is lazy. In fact when he got his report card he was relatively surprised to have straight As. I don't know which teachers he paid off for that. He and I dug up our side yard of sod last week and we have been putting in a strawberry patch. He can be a great help. He looks down on me though and laughs at how short I am. I also love to hear him sing. He has such a great voice and he likes to have me help him with parts that he is working
on.

3 comments:

Cindi said...

I love that kids think mundane jobs are good. Amy's goal right now is to grow up and be the "lady that holds the signs for the kids to cross the road from school".

Good luck with your class. I hope your family survives the trip to NM without you.

Shuman X Seven said...

I am glad to hear I am not the only slave driver. Hard work equals inegrity.

The Hunzikers said...

I didn't know you had a blog!!! I'm going to add you to my list if that's okay!!