Growing up in California, I am sad to say but I don't ever remember participating in teacher appreciation as a student. In Preston they would have our kids write a thank you and the room moms would decorate the classroom doors. I always sent a year end gift to my kids' teachers and I am pretty sure that I took year end gifts to my teachers in elementary school.
Holy Cow Utah county does teacher appreciation! In the past I have recieved many fun gifts for me and for my classroom but it hasn't ever been anything I solicited. It usually embarrasses me because at the end of each day I always look back and think of the things that I didn't get to or get finished with. I don't feel like the world's Best teacher so I don't like to be looked at in that way.
When students bring gifts I have a box on my counter that way if kids bring something they can stick it inside because I don't want to open gifts in front of other students making them feel bad. Sometimes I have a student that brings me something and begs me to open it and I tell them I'll open it at lunch or after school, telling them that I don't want other kids to feel bad because they didn't bring something. When I chose to teach I knew that I wouldn't get paid a lot of money, (duh) that I would spend lots of my own money on books, classroom supplies and varies things for my classroom and I knew that I would be spending the day babysitting many kids. But I also knew that I have the ability to make a difference, to provide a safe environment (if only for 6 hours a day), and help students become good citizens, whether or not they know the materials for the year end tests.
When I was young I remember reading the book Everything I ever needed to learn I learned in Kindergarten. I honestly believe that so much more of education is the daily lessons we learn from each other and by others' examples. Our kids are going to follow role models, whether or not we want them too. I can't tell you what I learned in elementary school but I can name every teacher I had and whether I can tell you good and bad about all of them. None of it has to do with the curriculum.
What do teachers want for appreciation? A day of not having to discipline a student for doing the same dumb thing he does every day. A smile when I say it is time to do math not a groan. A finished homework assignment, not a lost one.
I have loved my class this year. They are a great group of kids. Whether or not they can all get a 4 on the CRTS is important to me but I would rather them look back on this school year and think of the type of person I am. One who stands for honesty, integrity, that doesn't use vulgar language, that doesn't degrade or put down people, one who loves to read and learn, and one who loves them.
I can promise I don't do it for the gift cards or the lotion...If I did I would work some where else.
The other thing that has been amazing this year is my parent volunteers. One of the things I asked a few parents to help me with was book clubs. In the past I've had about 7-8 clubs going on at a time and I've met with each of the groups every week. This year I asked some moms to come in about 20 minutes a week and read the novel along with their student and help facilitate a book club meeting. This has been incredible. The parents have loved the opportunity, the kids have enjoyed meeting with the parents and I haven't had to facilitate each of the meetings. At our school we don't have a rule against bringing a younger sibling so that hasn't been a problem either. With 5th grade we do many 'extra' activities including going to Clear Creek overnight and needing parent volunteers for that also. We also did an Ellis Island simulation day in which we invited parents to come run stations and help our 5th graders feel what it was like to be an immigrant. Can I teach without parent help? Yes, does it enhance lessons YES!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wow, those are great things to get for teacher appreciation. You sound like a great teacher.
Kerri, it is so fun hearing about your experiences. I think you are so talented and organizing and motivating kids. Thanks for sharing about how things are going. I hope you enjoy your notes and lotions, too!
Post a Comment