Mothers Who Know

"Mothers who know" do less. They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally. They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of the world’s goods in order to spend more time with their children—more time eating together, more time working together, more time reading together, more time talking, laughing, singing, and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all. Their goal is to prepare a rising generation of children who will take the gospel of Jesus Christ into the entire world. Their goal is to prepare future fathers and mothers who will be builders of the Lord’s kingdom for the next 50 years. That is influence; that is power." ~Julie Beck

Sunday, January 25, 2009

An old (not really) friend

Many moons ago (like 17) I lived in Carroll Hall, in Heritage Halls at BYU. At the time Jennifer Berry lived with me. We had a wonderful year. We got along so well. We walked to class each morning singing "Oh what a beautiful morning" whether it was snow or shine. She was a business major and I a dance so we would walk to the Tanner building and I would cut across to the RB. She was a fantastic pianist and she would accompany my voice lessons, in fact my teacher liked her so well that she made all of her students pay her to play for their lessons also. My perk was that if I wanted to practice she'd gladly go to the practice room with me for many hours and play and play. That is a dream to have a live-in accompanist. But there were other things too. Jenn was a fantastic example to me. She read her scriptures everyday, prayed faithfully, and always made her bed. This was a special year for both of us because we both met our husbands and made the decisions to get married. We had many long talks about family life and goals and dreams we wanted to accomplish. She was from Washington so that January we made a trip to Washington together, her and Sam, for him to meet her family and get engaged, and Ryan and I for me to meet Ryan's family (as we were already engaged). She even helped Ryan pick out my wedding ring.
Anyway after Darren was born we lost contact. I think we were both busy trying to get through school and we were in different wards, neighborhoods etc. A couple of years ago I ended up on this website and I happened to look at the name of the webhost and it was hers. I couldn't imagine anybody else having that name from Price UT so I emailed her. Since then we have exchanged Christmas cards (not me this year I was lazy) and blogs. Always saying that we needed to get together but never doing it. Well, yesterday they had tickets to the open house also and they had agreed to drive out here for lunch afterwards. We had so much fun. Her kids are adorable and she and Sam haven't changed at all. You can tell that they are a happy family and couple.

When I was growing up my mom used to say that you can tell how good of friends you are with somebody if when you get together after time and you can pick up where you left off and it feels like it hasn't been that long. That was definitely how it was for us. We talked about old times and things going on now. The lucky thing about the Gospel is that you always have that core in common also. The hours flew by and it was starting to get late so they left. But it made me sad to realize how much I've missed her over the years. The other really nice thing was that my kids took right to hers so they were having fun also. Now we'll have to make the trek to Price and go and play with them!!

Thanks guys!! Of course chainmail was tried on...

4 comments:

KMJ said...

Kerri, that is SO awesome! I loved reading this post.

Jennifer said...

And I made my bed?! Of all the memories to have, that is a funny one!

We had a great time with your family and I have to admit, it was hard to leave. You are certainly welcome in our home anytime you need to get away. We'd love to visit with you and entertain your kids. Consider is "Camp Chiara"...

As we were driving down the road, I realized I didn't get a picture of the two of us together. Next time we can't forget!

Shuman X Seven said...

How fun!! Those are the times we have to count our blessings for God's tender mercies. Good friends are hard to find, but certainly a great treasure when they are lost. I loved the Temple post too! Nice camera!

Cindi said...

How nice to reconnect with old/great friends.