If anyone ever doubted our household is a bit crazy. We start the morning very early and read scriptures/pray at 6 so that Ryan can leave by 6:15 and I leave about 6:30. I always just assume that my kids make it to school because really they could stay home and ditch everyday and I wouldn't ever know. But as most of you know my kids are great and they do exactly what they are supposed to do. All of the time! Yes I know if you believe this I have some great swampland to sell you in Florida.
Anyway last week was filled with choir concerts, classes, mutual, scouts, Fabulous Friday and of course our Christmas party. Now I have to explain a little bit. 12 years ago Ryan wanted to have a party. It was right before Halloween and I said I would have a party but I didn't want to have to dress up. (Yes Rheanna many of us don't like to do that either, unless it is a show that is a whole different story!) Anyway he also said that he wanted to get presents at it. Then we started joking around and we said we should do a Christmas party because if you think about it when it is December who has time to have a party just for fun. So we called our friends (yeah we lived in Preston and we did have friends, at least that is what they told us to our faces, hee hee) They all laughed a bit but came and we borrowed our neighbors fake tree and decorated our whole house in Christmas. (the other great thing is that you bring your favorite treat that you probably haven't had since last Christmas so it is really exciting). It was such a fun night that by the next August I had people calling wondering when the party was so that they could plan on it. So the tradition started. Then over the years people moved in and out of our ward and some different people were invited but it was always hard because you had people that came every year and you can't have EVERYONE come. When we moved to Saratoga was the only year we didn't do it. And we were kind of sad.
Then last year Ryan suggested we try it again. Only that year we didn't have "regulars" and we just had to explain ourselves over and over. I know that we are goofy and most people don't appreciate our senses of humor but we did it and we had a good time.
So when we were trying to decide about this year we once again the list process. I hate having parties for this reason. I can only fit so many people into my house and I have such a hard time eliminating people from lists just because I can't fit everyone. In fact one year we were tempted to have a party every Saturday night until Christmas because there were still people that I wanted to invite. Anyway I wasn't going to blog about our party at all because I really feel bad because I have people that I LOVE that I didn't get the chance to invite and I don't want you to feel bad. The only reason I am putting this on is because other people have mentioned it and I don't want you wonder what was going on. If you are reading this and feeling bad because you didn't get invited just call my house and Ryan and I will gladly invite you for dinner, as we are happy to always have company and seriously have people invite themselves often. Right Bishop?
I hope that I haven't seriously offended anyone and you have to know that I seriously thought about not having the party this year because of the many comments that I have heard people say about our ward lately. Sorry, love, Kerri
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Oh! I'm sorry--I outed your party. We just had so much fun.
Nah Cindi-everyone knows they do their Christmas party before Halloween! : )
It's always tricky isn't it? It's such a blessing to live where there are so many friends, but it's true-you can't invite everyone b/c they just don't all fit!
Glad you had a great party, and that you have been able to keep up with the tradition that you have enjoyed for so many years!
(oh and thanks for the invite to the blog btw. I didn't know you'd gone private!)
I bet your home is filled with laughter with you and Ryan as parents! What fun! As for Sam and I, we are a bit too serious. But we have started having a dinner at our home most every week. We invite 2-3 couples/families and they each bring a salad or dessert. We usually provide the main dish. We've included friends, people we want to get to know, as well as inactive families in our ward. Our experience is that people generally don't want to leave once they come. In today's society, we just don't sit and visit enough anymore. Our weekly dinners have been a wonderful thing. (I'll have to keep the Christmas idea in mind.)
Kerri, I am so offended to not be invited! What just because I live like 600 miles away, and have not been to UT in almost five years, do you think that excuses you! You are dead to me :-)
I wish we could have made it Kerri....though we did invite ourselves. By the way, you forget to mention who went to fabulous friday with you!
I was sad we couldn't come, sounds like it was a great party and I'm convinced that it's much better to celebrate Halloween as Christmas rather than dressing up-glad I'm finding more that are smart like me and don't like it :o)
I only got invited once.... but alas at leaset there was that one time. Maybe you should consider Christmas in July also, then you would never have to take down your tree?????
I am sad that we don't have those parties here anymore. They were alot of fun. Miss you guys. Hope you had alot of fun.
Post a Comment