Mothers Who Know

"Mothers who know" do less. They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally. They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of the world’s goods in order to spend more time with their children—more time eating together, more time working together, more time reading together, more time talking, laughing, singing, and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all. Their goal is to prepare a rising generation of children who will take the gospel of Jesus Christ into the entire world. Their goal is to prepare future fathers and mothers who will be builders of the Lord’s kingdom for the next 50 years. That is influence; that is power." ~Julie Beck

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

I was sitting here reading some of the blogs that I have posted over the last few years...I can't believe how fast time has flown by and how much does (or doesn't) get accomplished in that amount of time.

My heart is so full of gratitude...First I have to say I'm so grateful for my immediate family, with that I'm grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ that with it I can be sealed to my family through eternity. Yesterday I took the opportunity to 'cuddle' and relax with some of my girls. Rebecca let me hold her like a baby for a long time and I was able to just relax and give her some good loving. I know it is hard on my kids for me to work and I wish I was able to stay home with them and always be here when they are here but that is not feasible right now. That being said I am thankful that I have a job. But that I also have a job that I get the same holidays that they do. I love having Rebecca and Stephanie at my school this year. On Tuesday as I was going inside for lunch Rebecca was playing basketball and she passed me the ball and I shot and made her a basket. It was a 30 second LOVELY moment.

I can't believe that my son is going to graduate from high school and go off to college this next year. He has become such a great young man and I love that he still comes in to talk to us and he says 'I love you' when he gets out of a car or calls me.

Kathryn is such a helpful daughter. I never could have gone back to school or teaching without her help. But she cuddled and read with me and helped me write grants yesterday. No she isn't a great help when it comes to cleaning but how much can you ask for as a 15 year old.

Jessica quietly goes about doing her thing. This year she has helped a lot with meals and picking up random things. She is so excited because she just made chamber choir and getting ready to audition for the dance team. I am really proud of her and the way she represents our family.

Stephanie has become a great help in my classroom. She helps me in the mornings get things ready for the day and is having an awesome time with the chimes choir. She is excited to turn 12 in January.

Ryan works so hard for our family. It never ceases to amaze me how loving and accepting of me that he is. When I look at me and all of my faults and imperfections he looks right through and reminds me of all of the good he sees. He is a fabulous dad. My kids love him so much and that is so important to me.

I'm thankful for my extended family...Yes I have lots of brothers and sisters and 'in laws' and nieces and nephews and I'm grateful for their examples and love. I'm excited to spend time with my family after Christmas.
But I'm also grateful for the house, heat, food, cars, electricity, INDOOR PLUMBING, etc.

No comments: