Mothers Who Know

"Mothers who know" do less. They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally. They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of the world’s goods in order to spend more time with their children—more time eating together, more time working together, more time reading together, more time talking, laughing, singing, and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all. Their goal is to prepare a rising generation of children who will take the gospel of Jesus Christ into the entire world. Their goal is to prepare future fathers and mothers who will be builders of the Lord’s kingdom for the next 50 years. That is influence; that is power." ~Julie Beck

Friday, March 19, 2010

Time keeps on ticking...ticking...into the future...


Tonight I am sitting on the couch listening to 13 year olds rattle on about jr. high teachers, cute boys, and daily things.... Jessica is officially a teenager. Don't get me wrong she has always had the hormones of a teenager but now she is really one.... I love Jessica she is the friendliest kid I know. She has always had a soft part in her heart for my sister Sarah and she is one of the wards most beloved babysitters.

I will entice you all about her entrance into the world. I had toxemia and had gained 30+ in the last 3 weeks. I went to the doctor on Monday and on Thursday I had gained 11 pounds... I am NOT exaggerating. We had decided not to 'find' out what we were having because when you have scheduled c-sections it is more exciting to have something to tell people so we didn't know whether she was going to be a Jessica or a Joshua (that is what I wanted to name another boy... we never had one). Anyway when they went to deliver her they allowed Ryan to go stand at the bottom of the bed so he could watch more closely and all of a sudden the ENTIRE operating room erupted in laughter. Not what you want to hear when you are having major surgery and you want to hear that your baby is healthy. Finally they stopped laughing long enough for Ryan to explain that while they were lifting her out of me she grabbed a scalpel off of the table and she wouldn't let go. My doctor retired later that year (letting you know he was a veteran doctor) told me that he had NEVER seen a baby do anything like that before in his life. Oh the joys of motherhood.

She has always been fun. When she was about 18 months I cut Darren, Ryan's and Kathryn's hair one afternoon and Jessica wanted me to cut hers. I combed it down and pretended to cut a little bit but didn't really cut any. The next day I was reading Kathryn a story and Darren and Jessica walked into the living room and her hair was cut ALL over her head. Darren had cut it for her because 'she was sad' that I hadn't cut hers at all the day before. Don't worry it was 3 weeks before my brother's wedding and I seriously thought about shaving her head so that she could start over. Needless to say I did cry.
Then about a year later her hair started falling out. It reminded me of a dog with mange. Many people thought she had just cut her hair again but it wasn't true. After that her hair grew back beautifully and she has gorgeous locks now...
When she was in first grade I got a call from the school that they thought she had broken her arm. We took her to the hospital to be sent to the ortho surgeon in Logan because she had broken her humorous. That is the Largest bone connecting your elbow to your shoulder. They couldn't cast it so it was so painful for days. I stayed up with her all night and we didn't even attempt to change her clothes for 3 days because she was wearing her brand new teeshirt from LONDON (that I had just brought back for her) Eventually they were able to splint it for 2 months but it made it very hard for her to feel stable in her power tumbling classes. She was so happy when it was finally better.
We are so happy that Jessica came to our family. I know that she is a squirrely beehive and is loud and giggly just the way you imagine all of them to be. I know that she drives Kathryn crazy especially when she is at young womens. I imagine that is how Teresa felt lots of times with Marguerite and some of us sisters. But that is okay because she is ours and I LOVE HER!!!

1 comment:

Liz said...

We love her, too!!! What great stories to share. So fun to read about Jessica's adventures thus far. Miss you guys!!!